Friday, January 19, 2018

Experiencing Vs Consuming Aka Watching Too Many Series

So one of the major issues I have each season is I watch too many series. The end result of this is I eventually start auto-dropping some shows. Not in the sense of declaring the shows as dropped, but more in the sense of I just stop watching them and never (yet) get back to fnishing them. Even among the shows, I do keep watching, something else happens.

Some of the stuff I watch becomes like an experience in their own way. Maybe not as always a positive experience, but an experience. Sometimes on a deeper level too. Yet I am starting to realize quite a few shows I'm just consuming. They're there to be watched and nothing more. This isn't always a bad thing if kept in check.

However the more shows I decided to "keep" watching because they are consumable aka good enough the harder it is to keep up with everything. I don't expect to live tweet about every single show I watch, but the more shows I watch the fewer I can actually discuss. The more diluted things become.

I do know I need to cut back yet I keep making excuses for myself to keep watching some shows. Often the excuse is "Yes this is trash, but it has one cute girl in it"  or "I liked a nano second of the opening that's got to be enough reason, right?"  Sure for some shows a single girl can be a good enough reason. Other times that reason fails miserably. It just depends on what type of role she has vs how bad the show ruining characters are.

As of current I am up to 17 or so shows being watched this Winter 2018 Anime Season. That's out of 20+ shows tried, probably closer to 30+. 17 shows might not seem like a lot and this is after cutting out quite a few series. However I can't help but feel I'm still conusming for the sake of consuming. Problem though is I'm not always sure what I'm actually consuming rather than experiencing or vice versa. I can see myself being tricked by the moment.

Another problem is that sometimes seeing for myself is both a good and bad thing. Because I "see for myself" it can lead me to finding in enjoyment in shows that others sometimes seemingly "drop before they even air" or give up too quickly on. It can also prove to me that just because X, Y and Z are from the same mold doesn't mean there are no difference between them or one can't be the good among the bad even if the bad often outweighs the good by default,

However because of this, any time I'm time trying to decide "Do I keep going with this?" there is always a voice saying "Sure this might be yet another Absolute Duo, bu it could end up being a World Break"  World Break, Fafnir, and Absolute Duo were 3 similar shows that aired in the same season. Duo was the bad show,  Fafnir was the average show, Break was the decent show. However even Break still had its issues. So one could argue even World Break failed to cut it. Especially if you have what I don't, standards. The point being is I dig through too much trash to find gems and even if the show isn't exactly trash sometimes show is still not excactly up part.

The vacuum effect is another issue. In which I seem to be watching each show as if there is nothing else competing for my tune. Sure on some level, I realize the more shows I watch the less time I have for each. However I rarely stop to think about that when I decide "Might as well watch another episode". This starts to add up and eventually I ended up deciding to watch later or decide to skip live tweeting because I have so much to rush through.

The final issue is while I might claim "Don't follow the crowd for the sake of following the crowd" and "Don't be defiant for the sake of being defiant", that sometimes does happen to me. I both want to try series because others are watching them and try series that others are shunning to give them a chance. For the former maybe I'm just curious to see what makes it click with people. For the latter maybe I want to be the one that finds the gem?

To wrap this up, I am admitting to what everyone already knew. That I watch too many series each season. That because of it, I'm ultimately consuming series as if they're background noise rather than experiencing them as shows to discuss. So I do need to cut back. The problem is figuring out in a way that allows me to keep some individuality and doesn't backfire on me either. Ie I set the type of goals that you set only because you plan to break them anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home