Friday, December 28, 2018

One Cour Autumn 2018 Anime (The Rest)


09. Himote House
The series definitely has quite a few issues, yet there was something about it that kept me watching. Part of it was morbid curiosity, but I think in some ways I legit liked aspects of it. It had a few amusing moments on occasion. Keyword being a few as opposed to a lot. If it had a lot, I might rank this higher. However of the 1 Cour series I finished this season, something has to be last.
08. Merc Storia
While there is an overlapping plot due to the whole "Journey To Remember My Memories", the series is mostly an anthology.  Be it single episode or two episode arcs of varying qualities. Even the "worst" episodes are decent and the "best" episodes can be quite strong. It was a journey worth going on, but here's the thing that keeps it in the bottom tier. When you take into account the whole.

While it was enjoyable to meet and learn about the other characters, I would have liked a bit more focus on Merc and even Yuu.  At the same time I was also hoping to see the people they met be visited again. By that I mean as part of a story arc, not just in a quick ending montage scene.  Long story short, I can't help but feel that Merc Storia needed to be longer to allow for such things to happen.
07.RELEASE THE SPYCE
Back when this started, I was confident it would be in the top three. However even early on it started running into issues that lowered my opinion on it. However even with the issues, I still enjoyed the series enough to finish it and not regret watching it. I will admit a lot of it came be blamed on the fact I was invested in two of the characters. I really liked Fu and Mei quite a bit. Yes even after that stuff happened. Also while the final arc had a lot of stupid in it, I do like the way they ended the episod and the new girl is of interest.
06.SSSS.Gridman
This was overall a very impactful series for me.  The final arc was especially amazing. The Akane and Rikka moments were great. Even Gridman got a few good scenes. Fixer Beam indeed. That being said, I can't deny the series having some issues. I guess the best way to put is this. I like the series more for the second half than the first. The first half isn't  terrible, but it really is a case of "just enough to carry you to the good stuff". That said if you're hating the first half, I doubt the second half will save the show. 

         For the record, my experience with OG Gridman and the localized series that's part of the source for the SSSS in the title is rather limited.  Ie I've seen others talk about them and watched clips, but I never fully watched either series. So my opinion on the series is based on that (limited) perspective. Still based on my experience, I feel the show can be enjoyed even with limited experience of the original series and such.
05.Yagate Kimi ni Naru
When the series started, I wasn't sure what to think of this show. I had some interest in the dynamic, but something about the pacing of the show bothered me. So for awhile I put the show on hold. Eventually I picked it back up and some episodes around the middle showed potential and things were starting to get well good. I will also admit the "problems" with their relationship started to become part of what grew my interest in the series. 

 That said, the series clear desire to play the long game with the story limits the amount of impact a series like this can have with a single cour season. That's not to say the final episode was bad, but I was left feeling like there should have been a bit more to have a stronger cut off point. Like with Merc Storia, part of me wishes this was two cour. Not that I have any idea how much manga this covered or if there is even yet enough material for two cour.
04.Zombieland Saga
This series had one of the best starts, but sadly it almost lost me. The reason being is the next few episodes after starte to feel too routine. Like it was going to be one of those series where they were going to rely on strong start to carry the rest. I was even considering dropping the show permanently after episode 4. However I picked it back up after hearing some good buzz about the episodes passed that point. Mainly five through seven.

Those episodes made me rethink giving up on the series and then came episode eight and nine, both of which were amazing. However what tops everything off is the final episode. An episode that focused on a narrative that I'm sure many can relate to.  We also got quite a few great scenes in it. From Saki Punch to Tae lecture. Tae was especially good this episode. Granted Tae is good in several episodes because she's legendary. That's why.

Everything taking as a whole this ended up being one of my favorite series of the season. However there are still several series above it including the top three "One Cour" series of the season for me. Which will be the subject of their own entry for various reasons. No prizes for guessing what they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home