Sunday, December 30, 2018

One Cour Autumn 2018 Anime (Top Three)


03.Akanesasu Shoujo

This series took a few episodes to truly get going. Once it did however it was a fun ride until the last arc. The last arc where the "handling" of everything including and especially the main character of our story, Asuka was put to test. From the start, Asuka defied conventions of what I like to call the "My Turn To Henshin" genre because well just look at episode 1-3 to see what I mean. The point is the story avoided Asuka being the "heroine" despite being well the heroine. 

Even when the heroine finally became the heroine, the handling of it was amazing. During the final arc of the story, we see Asuka both become the heroine in a unique matter, but also deal with the "season 1 final boss" in a manner while not 100% original is still effective to see. We then of course get an epilogue that while not tying up literally everything, still provides us enough anyway. Plus that final scene was just an amusing way to end things.

02.Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san

This was a joy to watch for the most part. There were a few times the whole "we'll tease this, but can't let anything actually happen" routine got frustrating. That and let's just say two characters (cough Hinata & Ellie cough) have one thinking "Come on you two, just move on already", I get it some things can't happen until either much later near the end, but that's doesn't change the fact it can be frustrating to deal with such moments.  Despite my complaints we still had a lot of good in this show, way more good than bad.

It was nice to see Sophie develop her relationship with Akari. In general the series has a lot of good relationship. The characters are fun to watch. Also there's Ellie. Ellie is amazing and ok, that's all I'm going to say. Seriously some of the things she gets away with. To a lesser extent there's Yu and Sakuya. I say lesser only because their screen time is limit compared to the main four, but when we do see them, they definitely shine. Especially together.

Finally watching this anime has reminded me that I was reading a few different Vampire/Human romance manga, but of course like with a lot of manga, I keep having to relearn their names and then I find those said manga have no new chapters and then I get sad.
01. Anima Yell

From the start, this series won me over with its intro episode. From Kohane discovering her calling in life to her promise to Hizume. In fact the relationship betwen Kohane and Hizume is part of what sold me on the show. I was even thinking of shipping them at first. That is until Uki made it clear in more ways than one that she's Kohane's wife. That's wife, not mother. Please get it right, people.

Not to mention that once Kana came into the picture, I found someone better for my Hizume shipping purposes. Speaking of those two, episode 10 is another reason this show became my favorite of the seasons. To make a long story short, when they break down that wall, they mean it. Ie they mean to at least try.

Then there's the final two episodes. One thread hanging over the series was the issue of the former team Hizume was part of. The route they go with handling that plot thread is one I can fully support and far better than some routes they could have gone with. . It was an effective cut-off point for the series. Also bribing me with Twins helps too. Seriously Nekoya indeed. Hopefully both of them have good girlfriends. Perhaps among their team?

Overall
Autumn had a few disappointing shows and some shows that make me question this time line. However despite those issues the nine shows I mentioned in this and the companion entry as well as the multi-cours shows I'm still watching helped make sure that Autumn 2018 ended up an enjoyable season for anime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home