Friday, April 10, 2020

Finished 1 Cour Winter 2020 Anime

The Winter 2020 anime season has come to an end. So here are my thoughts on the 1 cour shows I finished. Starting with the most disappointing show for me and then ending with my favorite.  
  22/7
This show was very frustrating. The show is a case of wasted potential and misplaced priorities. For example, they relied too much on "flashback drama" to develop the characters. Also while I do like the idea of every character getting a chance to shine, sometimes trying to force it only results in no one shining.  What hurts  most are the final few episodes. With them we got head desk moments and a glimpse of what could have been.
Yatogame-Chan S2
Some of the episodes were fun, but a few of them might have tried too hard to be promotional material. Still Mone is cute and the episodes are rather short. Like there's much to say about this one.
Oshibudo
The series started a bit shakey and sometimes the main couple's desire to be disasters frustrated me. I had almost (in fact had) dropped it after episode 1 because it was bothersome. However a rewatch and paying more attention to Maina helped improve my opinion on the show. It was definitely worth keeping up with the series. Sometimes it frustrated and some characters are just trash.

However the show had several great moments to it and the supporting cast aka the idols started to shine overtime. We got some pretty good supporting pairs and the overall group dynamic was pretty effective. Far from a favorite, but it was worth finishing.
Magia Record
Overall I enjoyed this season and it had some interesting developments. The ending was frustrating, but to be fair that's kind of the point. It certainly leads a lot to speculate as to what could happen during S2. I like some of the relationships in the show. That said, how I'll feel about S1 in the long run will depend on what S2 delivers. For now, I'm mostly positive about how it went down.

Heya Camp
On the negative side, not enough Rin. I get why, but I'm still docking points for that.  I guess they could make it up to us by making another short with Rin as the lead! In all seriousness, despite that issue, this was a fun series.  The three members of the club got a lot of moments to bond and they made good use out of the short format. The final three episodes together were good way to end this. Looking forward to more Yuru Camp in the future.
Bofuri
There were a few times I had to question the show, but other than it was a lot of fun. Maple is an adorable shield user. It helps the game remained just a game. That and it wasn't just Kaede that had her quirks. We also had Risa. Once she got involved in the show everything just got better.  The relationship between Maple and Sally is one of the best. Add on top of that a good supporting cast with their own quirks. Definitely one of the best of the season.
BanG Dream S3
I feel like S3 was meant to be the "pay off" I was waiting for during S2. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed S2, but I was left thinking "What about that plot point?" and S3 was like "Here's your plot point and more".  The events surrounding RAS were amazing. Especially ones with Lock and Pareo. The stuff with Pareo near the end might be my favorite moment(s) of the season. My only issue is this. I hope for a hypothetical S4, they perhaps focus on other bands a bit. I think certain bands have had enough chance to shine.

Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!!
My second favorite show of the season by far. The main (title) band of the season was great. The relationship between Delmin and Ruhuyu was nice enough even if they were the side focus. What sold me on the show most was the romance between Howan and Himeko. From their very first interaction to the end of the series, the two have been amazing together. Their love is truly divine.
Asteroid In Love
By far my favorite show of the season. Mira and Ao are wonderful together. You just want to support both their journey and their love. Watching both their relationship grow and them make progress towards their goal was good. However what really helped the show was the supporting cast. From Mikage to Chikage, each character out main couple interacted with only helped the over all narrative. I'm especially fond of the journey Ino's character went through. I think in some ways she might be my favorite of them.
-----------------
And that about covers the season.  Over all,  Asteroid and Mashuairesh!! were the main two shows of Winter 2020 for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home