Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Dungeon Travelers 2 Thoughts (Main Story Finished/Post Game Not Yet Played)

 

So I've finally finished this game. It only took me a little over two years to finish the game.  Well the main game anyway, there's still the post game. However I'd rather save that for the future. So let's talk about the game as it stands when you finish the main story. First, let get this out of the way. Yes, the game is filled with fanservice. I enjoyed some aspects of the fanservice myself, especially some of the job class outfits. However there is no denying depending on  tolerance, some of the fanservice can bother people. Still the game does make it clear early on what to expect from it. It even has a demo that can serve as a good warning.

Now when the game started, I only had 2 party members. We're not counting Fried  because he doesn't do any of the fighting. At best he might shout out "commands" represented by the player selecting actions. So effectively two. However you soon get a third then eventually have a full party. You would also be forced to leave people out of the party. Then you'd buy 20 DLC characters  to make the choices even harder. Still what person would do that? Stop looking at me with disgust. 

Early on the system seemed way too expensive. Every time you leveled up a skill it would "cost" more to level up  next time. It would also cost way more TP to use. It made the idea of even trying to level up anything in the game seem pointless and this definitely bothered me at first. It was pretty much an evil version of Etrian's skill raising system to me. At least that's the way it felt to me. Also doesn't help some skills don't gain much improvement for the increased cost anyway.
                                                           


However as my characters reached higher levels, the system started to bother me less. For one,  was able to reach LV15, LV30 and most recently LV50 which are all reset levels. Levels where you can reset a character's skill points. This allowed for much more freedom than I had early on. Of course whenever a character was between reset points, I always had to hope my set up was good enough for the next level. On top of that the game would introduce new characters, and I just had to get all the DLC characters for shallow reasons. Ie seeing their outfits.... Granted that might also be why I took a long break from the game. I tried to get them all to level 30.

Still this brings me up to my favorite part of the game. The class system was rather interesting. Each character has a base class determined by the story, but the game allowed you freedom to decide what mid class they'd get around level 15 and advaned class around level 30. You're even allowed to reset levels and change your mind for a price. Ie the price of levels. It also helps that a character with an advanced class could still learn some basic and mid class skills.as well. Sure, you only have one base class and your choice of "advanced" class is tied your mid class, but it's still better than nothing. I will say it was fun experimenting on occasion.


The story was decent for the most part. You got some amusing scenes and just enough plot to give a reason to keep exploring and moving forward. That being said the story development for the "villain(s)" was kind of limited. However given what the final boss was, I can't say I'm that surprised. Still the game was more about your party interaction than it was about the villain. Still it would have been nice if there had been say some entries that fleshed FB out a bit more.

Over all the game definitely stands out for me. Not because of the fanservice or being a DRPG. DRPGs with fanservice seems to be a Vita Staple. It stands out because of the class system, the way it all ties together. It's probably the best part of the game. Granted the girls being wonderful does help quite a lot too. And I'd probably be far less interested in the game if it was just boring men.


Finally, let's talk favorite character and let's talk the class line I ultimately chose for her. If the images included weren't obvious hints.  Liz was best girl  over all in my view. She would eventually replace Lilian as my main Spieler line character. Actually I was using both for awhile because I had a hard time parting with the starting 2/3 girls in the game which included Lilian herself. 


I ultimately came to like using her as Joker (Will be the last image, I promise) the best out of the class options for her,  I just needed to avoid the skills that required way too much luck.  Plus I killed the final boss with Liz doing most of the damage as she carried an Axe. I'm proud of my murderous girl brutally slaughtering the evil ones. Unless you consider the party the evil ones. Granted we do come off as being bullies sometimes.


Over all, Dungeon Travelers 2 was a good experience for me.. Now if only I could played the sequel which I've heard is an interesting what if scenario and yes does include some fanservice as well and hopefully has a better version of this system. I always wants a better version, never a worse version.  I'm not holding my breath  waiting for 2-2. For now, I'll focus on other games instead for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home